Curried Quinoa with Red Lentils and Kale 14-Oct-2019
This recipe purported to be both dairy free and vegan, yet it listed “unsalted butter”; I replaced it with vegan butter (e.g. Earth Balance Red). It sounds like a really great curry.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1 cup rainbow quinoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, or more to taste (optional)
- Bring water and broth to a boil in a stockpot.
- Add lentils, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic and cover stockpot, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix quinoa, cumin, curry powder, salt, chili powder, cinnamon, black pepper, coriander, cardamom, and cloves into broth mixture and return to a boil.
- Cover stockpot, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Stir the kale, peas, and vegan butter into the quinoa mixture and return to a boil.
- Cover stockpot, reduce heat to medium, and cook until kale and peas are tender, about 10 minutes more.