Vegan Alfredo Sauce 22-Jun-2019
This looked like a good recipe to try with my still-new allergies to dairy and sensitivity to gluten. I modified it a bit to suit myself, but it’s a pretty straight-forward recipe.
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 - 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into florets (about 1 medium head)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 15 oz can of coconut milk (original used 1 1/2 cups soy milk)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, more to taste (I put in 4 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion (I used dried minced onion)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste (seems like a lot)
- pepper, to taste
In a large pot that can be fitted with a lid, heat the butter over medium heat. When melted, add the garlic and saute for 1 minute until lightly browned.
Add the broth, cauliflower, and cashews. Raise heat to bring to a boil. Now turn heat down to a low simmer and cover with lid. Cook for 10-12 minutes until cauliflower is fork tender. Remove from heat.
Using an immersion blender, add coconut milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, granulated onion, salt, pepper to the cooked contents from the pan. Blend on high until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
If it still tastes a little lumpy, wait for the sauce to cool sufficiently, so you don’t get burned or something worse. Blend it in a regular high-speed blender for a few minutes. I did it in half batches, because otherwise it filled up too much of the blender.