Tamale Pie 28-May-2020
Here’s an Instant Pot Tamales recipe that you can make on a weeknight without too much fuss. It has all of the taste of tamales, but done in under an hour. These tamales healthier and lower fat, since they don’t use pork lard.
- 2 cups masa harina
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups shredded pork ((see notes for variations))
- 1.5 cups enchilada sauce (or use canned enchilada sauce)
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, mix together the masa, water, oil, salt, and baking soda. Whip this mixture for at least 3-4 minutes until it is light and fluffy. Ordinarily, this recipe would use lard for leavening and whipping in air bubbles formed from the melting lard. We aren’t using lard so the only way to get a fluffier texture is to beat the heck out of it.
- Use leftover meat (see notes for options) and enchilada sauce for the filling. (Yes I understand that tamales don’t use enchilada sauce. But remember we are talking about a fast and efficient recipe.)
- Grease a 7-inch springform pan. Pour in half the masa batter. Top with all of the meat and sauce. Now top with the remaining masa batter and smooth out the top. Cover the pie with foil or a silicone lid. You are doing this to keep water from dripping into the tamale pie.
- Pour 1[1/2] cups water into the Instant Pot. Place a trivet in the pot. Place the pan on the trivet.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Set the Instant Pot at High pressure for 30 minutes. When cook time is complete, let pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then release all remaining pressure.
- Using silicone mitts, carefully remove the foil and test to see if the masa is cooked. It will be moist, but a chopstick inserted into the batter should come out clean.
- Allow the pie to rest for 10 minutes, and then unclasp the sides of the springform pan.
- Slice and serve your amazing Instant pot Tamale pie!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Serves: 8