Beef Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy) 28-May-2020
Beef Bourguignon (or “Beef Burgundy”) is my favorite thing to cook in my Instant Pot. It’s aromatic and filling and is a great meal to make for company or to serve on a cold autumn or winter night.
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 oz. Bacon, roughly chopped
- 3 lbs. Beef Chuck, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bag of Baby Carrots
- 1 large White Onion, diced
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced (divided)
- 1 pinch coarse Salt & freshly ground Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. GF Flour
- 1 c. small Pearl Onions (frozen)
- 1 c. Red Wine (like Merlot, Pinot Noir, or a Chianti)
- 3 c. Beef Stock (I use Better Than Boullion)
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tsp. Thyme
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 lb. Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan Butter
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTÉ function (or use a pan on the stove over medium heat). Sauté the bacon in 1 Tbsp of oil until crisp and browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pat dry the beef with paper towel; sear in batches until browned on all sides in the oil/bacon fat.
- Return bacon to the pot. Season with ½ tsp coarse salt and ¼ tsp ground pepper. Sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook on SAUTÉ for a further 4-5 minutes to brown.
- Add in the onions, pearl onions, carrots, wine, beef stock, tomato paste, 4 cloves minced garlic and herbs. Stir well, cover and lock the lid into place. Press “Keep Warm/Cancel” to stop the Sauté function, then set to “MANUAL” mode. Choose “HIGH PRESSURE” for 30 minutes cook time.
- After cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 8-10 minutes. Open the valve and allow and remaining steam to escape.
- While steam is releasing, prepare your buttered mushrooms (OPTIONAL – or you can add them straight in without cooking in butter if desired).
- Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet/pan over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), then add in the mushrooms.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, while shaking the pan occasionally to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
- Change the Instant Pot setting back to the SAUTÉ setting. Stir well and allow the sauce to thicken uncovered, for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Add the buttered mushrooms, garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.