Gyros Meat 19-Nov-2019
This sounds quite easy to make one of my favourite things to eat. Can also use with ground pork or chicken.
- 1/2 onion, cut into chunks
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Prep meat mixture
- Place the onion in a food processor, and process until finely chopped.
- Scoop the onions onto the center of a towel, gather up the ends of the towel, and squeeze out the liquid from the onions.
- Place the onions into a mixing bowl along with the lamb and beef.
- Season with the garlic, oregano, cumin, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, and salt.
- Mix well with your hands until well combined.
- Cover, and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
Cook meat loaf
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Place the meat mixture into the food processor, and pulse for about a minute until finely chopped and the mixture feels tacky.
- Pack the meat mixture into a 7x4 inch loaf pan, making sure there are no air pockets.
- Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel.
- Place the loaf pan on the towel, inside the roasting pan, and place into the preheated oven.
- Fill the roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the loaf pan.
- Bake until the gyro meat is no longer pink in the center, and the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F (75 degrees C) on a meat thermometer, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Pour off any accumulated fat, and allow to cool slightly before slicing thinly and serving.