Cabbage curry 28-May-2020
Simple cabbage curry recipe - Simple home style Indian cabbage recipe made with peas, spices & herbs.
- 1 tbsp oil ( or as needed)
- 1/2 tsp cumin (or jeera)
- 1/2 tsp mustard (seeds)
- 1 tsp ginger (or ginger garlic paste or grated)
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced (optional))
- 1 large tomato (finely chopped (optional))
- salt (as needed)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (or haldi)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala (or sambar powder as needed)
- 1/4 cup green peas (or 2 tbsp chana dal (soaked and cooked))
- 2 to 3 cups cabbage (chopped)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped )
- Remove the outer leaves of cabbage and cut to quarters.
- Warm 4 to 6 cups water in a large pot. The water should be warm. Turn off the stove.
- Keep the cabbage in this water and leave for 3 to 4 mins.
- Discard the water and rinse them a few times in fresh water. Drain the cabbage completely.
- Chop the cabbage and set aside. Alternately, chop the cabbage and add to salted warm water. Drain off and set aside.
- Ensure the water is completely drained from the cabbage otherwise it will turn mushy.
- Add oil to a hot. When the oil turns hot, add mustard and cumin.
- When they begin to sizzle, add ginger garlic and fry till it turns aromatic.
- Add sliced onions and fry till they turn transparent. Transfer tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy and soft.
- Add spice powders and fry for a minute for the raw smell to go away. Next add green peas and then saute for a minute.
- Next add chopped and drained cabbage. Stir for the masala to coat the cabbage well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fry until the cabbage is cooked to your liking. Sprinkle Coriander leaves. Serve cabbage curry with rice or roti.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Serving Size: 1 serving
Calories: 99 kcal
Fat: 5 g
Sodium: 423 mg
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 5 g
Protein: 2 g