Savory Cabbage Pancakes (Okonomiyaki) 28-May-2020
Savory Cabbage Pancakes are a fun and filling way to use up pantry leftovers. Fill them and top them with whatever your heart desires!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Serves: 6 6-inch pancakes
- 2 extra large eggs ($0.53)
- 1/2 cup water ($0.00)
- 1.5 Tbsp tamari
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil ($0.33)
- 3/4 to 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour ($0.07)
- 4-5 cups shredded green cabbage ($1.78)
- 1 carrot ( $0.11)
- 3 green onions ($0.17)
- 2 Tbsp oil for frying ($0.04)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise ($0.28)
- 2 Tbsp sriracha ($0.10)
- 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds ($0.04)
- 2 green onions ($0.11)
- Remove any wilted leaves from the outside of the cabbage.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core.
- Thinly slice or shred half of the cabbage, or until you have 4-5 cups shredded cabbage.
- Peel the carrot and shred it using a large-holed cheese grater.
- Slice the green onions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, soy sauce, and sesame oil until smooth.
- Begin whisking in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until it forms a thick, smooth batter (about 3/4 to1 cup total flour).
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onion to the batter and stir until the vegetables are mixed and everything is evenly coated in batter.
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add 3/4 cup of the vegetable and batter mixture.
- Press it down into the hot skillet to form a circle, about 6 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- Place a cover on the skillet to hold in the steam, which will help the cabbage soften as it cooks.
- Cook the pancake until golden brown on the bottom (3-5 minutes), then flip and cook until golden brown on the second side.
- Pile the cooked pancakes on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until ready to eat.
- Add more oil to the skillet as needed as you cook the pancakes.
- To prepare the sriracha mayo, mix together 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 2 Tbsp sriracha in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the sriracha mayo over the pancakes just before serving, followed with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and sliced green onion.