Sweet Potato Lasagne
- 3 large sweet potatoes, about 2 1/2 pounds, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (, minced)
- 1 cup quinoa (, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 (25 oz) jar marinara sauce, divided (2 cups here)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
White Been Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans ((or one 15 oz. can drained and rinsed))
- 1/4 cup water (, plus more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Use a mandoline slicer to slice the sweet potatoes into very thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick. (You can use a sharp knife to do this if you prefer.)
- Arrange the sliced sweet potatoes on the lined baking sheets and bake until they are easily pierced with a fork, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the quinoa filling. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat and saute the onion until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and saute another minute, just until fragrant.
- Add in the quinoa, lentils, 2 cups of the marinara sauce, water, and salt into the saucepan and bring everything to a boil. Cover with a lid, lower the heat, and simmer until the quinoa and lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the white bean sauce. In a blender combine the beans, water, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and blend until smooth. Adjust any seasoning to taste, then set it aside.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread a thin layer of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan to help prevent sticking. Arrange a single layer of the cooked sweet potato slices on the bottom, then spoon half of the quinoa lentil mixture on top of that. Spread it around evenly. Spoon half of the white bean sauce over that and spread it with a spatula.
- Repeat the layering process with another round of sweet potato slices, quinoa “meat” and white bean sauce, then top it off with a final layer of sweet potato slices. Finally, spread the remaining marinara sauce over the top of the sweet potato slices to help prevent them from drying out or burning. Bake the lasagna at 400ºF until heated through, about 25 to 30 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
- This lasagna can be stored in the fridge for up to a week in a tightly sealed dish. I like to reheat it by the slice for faster reheating– typically a couple slices in the oven will reheat in about 15 minutes at 350ºF.
- Prep time: 25 min
- Cooking time: 30 min
- Servings: 8