Mississippi Pot Roast 28-May-2020
Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast with butter, ranch, au jus, pepperoncinis, and a nice chuck roast, this is an absolute classic pot roast. You can make it so much faster in your pressure cooker!
- 3-6 lbs Chuck Roast, (cut into 1 pound chunks of even thickness)
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 small Onion, (chopped (optional, if you don’t use the onion, omit the veg oil, too))
- 9 Pepperoncinis, (whole or chopped)
- 1/2 cup Pepperoncini Juice from the jar
- 3/4 cup Low Sodium Beef Broth, ((or water))
- 1 (1 oz) packet Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1 (1 oz) packet Au Jus ((or packet of brown gravy mix))
- 1/2 - 1 Stick of vegan Butter, (unsalted)
- 3 Tbsp gluten-free Flour
- 3 Tbsp Softened vegan Butter, (unsalted)
- Turn pot on Sauté mode (normal). When the display reads “Hot” add the oil.
- When oil heats up, place meat in one layer into the pot and don’t move it for 5 full minutes (Don’t brown for less than that).
- Turn meat over and cook for another 5 full minutes.
- Remove the meat to foil or a dish you can cover. Wrap it to keep it warm.
- Deglaze the pot: Add onion to pot and stir, add a bit of the beef broth or a small amount of water if there is not enough moisture to loosen the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pot until the bottom is free of the stuck on brown bits.
- Add the pepperoncinis and their juice, beef broth, au jus and ranch packets, and butter. Stir to combine.
- Turn off the sauté mode.
- Add the meat back into the pot.
- Close lid and set the steam release knob knob to the Sealing position.
- Press the Pressure Cook or Manual button (or use dial) then the +/- button to select 60 minutes. High Pressure. It will take several minutes to build pressure.
- When the cooking cycle ends, let the pot sit undisturbed and count up to 15 min (15 minute natural pressure release, or NPR).
- After the 15 minute NPR, turn off the pot and manually release the remaining pressure by turning the steam release knob to the Venting position.
- When the pin in the lid drops back down, open the lid.
- Remove the pot roast to a plate and cover.
- Turn the Sauté function back on.
- Mix the flour and butter together until well combined.
- When the liquid is starting to simmer, add the mixture to the pot, stirring well until thickened. Then turn off the pot and add the roast back in.
Enjoy with mashed or baked potatoes, or over rice.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Serves: 4 - 6 servings