Italian Turkey Casserole 09-Nov-2019
Ground turkey, italian herbs, garlic, and marinara.
Modified to be dairy-free.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (finely diced)
- 2 zucchini’s (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 cup low carb marinara sauce
- 1 cup riced cauliflower
- 1 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Add ground turkey and crumble into small pieces
- Add half the salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and garlic powder
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until browned
- Stir in onions, garlic, zucchini, riced cauliflower, marinara sauce, and remaining seasonings into the turkey mixture
- Mix well and cook for for 8-10 minutes until veggies have softened
- Remove from heat and add to an 9×9 casserole dish
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and serve.
(The original recipe called for putting balls of mozzarella cheese on the casserole before baking. I’m not sure there’d be a good dairy-free version of that. Serving it with cashew parmesean (“nooch”) seems ideal, though.)