Lembas Bread 11-Sep-2013
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 8 tablespoons of cold butter (1 stick)
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup/honey
- 2/3 cup of milk/heavy cream (or more, if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celcius (425 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the butter and mix with a fork or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles fine granules.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon, and mix them thoroughly into the mixture.
- Add the milk/cream and vanilla and stir them in with a fork until a nice, thick dough forms.
- Roll the dough out about 1/2 in thickness.
- Cut out 3-inch squares and transfer the dough to a cookie sheet.
- Criss-cross (DO NOT cut all the way) each square from corner-to-corner with a knife.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or more (depending on the thickness of the bread) until it is set and lightly golden.
(the recipe makes about 10-12 pieces of lembas)