Instant Pot Chili 28-May-2020
Make this Easy Instant Pot Chili Recipe under an hour! Simple umami & spicy Pressure Cooker Beef & Beans Chili to satisfy your hearty comfort food cravings.
- 1 pound 1 ½ pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (540ml/19oz) red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 - 2 tablespoons (8g - 16g) chili powder (depends on your chili powder’s spiciness & preference)
- 1 tablespoon (6g) cumin seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon (1g) dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- Optional: 1 tablespoon (15ml) apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons (49g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Lime, Sour cream
- Jalapeno pepper, diced and seeded
- Green onions
- Cheddar cheese
- Prepare the Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and Adjust once to Sauté More function) over medium high heat. Ensure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until indicator says HOT).
- Brown the Ground Beef: Season ground beef generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in pressure cooker. Ensure to coat the oil over whole bottom of the pot. Add ground beef in pressure cooker. The ground beef will start to release moisture. At the 5-minute mark, remove the ground beef juice and reserve it in a small mixing bowl.Allow the ground beef to brown. Stir occasionally until they are slightly crisped and browned (~5 – 7 minutes). Taste and adjust the seasoning with more kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix the Chicken Stock Mixture: While the ground beef is browning, mix 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock, 2 tbsp (30ml) fish sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 3 tbsp (49g) tomato paste, and 1 tsp (2.5g) unsweetened cocoa powder in a 500ml measuring cup.
- Sauté Onion, Garlic and Spices: Add diced onions, minced garlic, 1 tbsp ground cumin seed, 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp dried oregano. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the spices start to release their fragrance. Stir frequently.
- Deglaze: Pour in ½ cup (125ml) of the Umami Chicken Stock Mixture, fully deglaze the bottom of the pot by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon. Mix the brown bits with the stock mixture.
- Pressure Cook the Chili: Add in the reserved beef juice (from Step 2). Pour in the remaining Umami Chicken Stock Mixture. Add 2 cans of drained red kidney beans. Mix well. Pour in 1 can of crushed tomatoes with all the juice on top. Do not mix. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure using “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” button for 10 minutes + Natural Release. Open the lid carefully.
- Reduce and Season: If the chili is too runny, give it a quick stir and cook for another few minutes over medium heat (Instant Pot: Press Sauté button). Taste and season with brown sugar (we used 1 tbsp), kosher salt and black pepper. Optional: Add 1 tbsp of Apple cider vinegar. Note that the vinegar will significantly change the flavor profile.
- Serve: Garnish chili with optional ingredients. Serve over your favorite side dishes.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Serves: 4 - 6