Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup 17-Nov-2019
A pretty simple, classic slow-cooker version, modified to be gluten-free and dairy-free, and to fit my needs for preparation.
- 14oz package frozen butternut squash cubes, thawed
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 500°F
- Line a baking pan with foil
- Spread squash, carrots, and onion out into a single layer on the prepared baking pan
- Bake in the preheated oven until slightly browned, about 10 minutes
- Pour roasted squash pieces, carrots, onions, and potato into slow cooker
- Pour chicken stock over vegetables and stir in bay leaf, garlic powder, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper
- Cook on High for 4 hours, stirring once
- DISCARD BAY LEAF before puréing
- Purée soup with an immersion blender until smooth
I was not so precise on the amount of squash I used. I had a 10oz package so that’s what I used. I thawed in the microwave before adding it to the other vegetables.
I added oil and salt to the vegetables mix before putting it on the pan to roast.
10 minutes was not enough time to lightly brown the vegetables.