Allergy-Friendly Comfort Soup 14-Oct-2019
The original recipe specified soy sauce and goat-cheese, so I modified it. This does sound like it would be great comfort soup. All that stuff to clear out the sinuses and fill and warm the belly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yams, peeled and cubed
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce: tamari
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook and stir the cubed yams in the hot oil until fork-tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and diced jalapeno pepper to the yams; continue cooking until the cauliflower begins to soften, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Combine the coconut milk, water, and cannellini beans in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Stir the basil, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, mustard powder, coriander, smoked paprika, ground ginger, cardamom, turmeric, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick into the bean mixture.
- Season the soup with salt and black pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil
- Add the yam mixture and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until the cauliflower is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.