Cabbage Borscht Lincoln Del 16-Dec-2012
This recipe was printed in the Minneapolis Star/Tribune Taste section the week of December 14th, 2012. It is the recipe used by the famous Lincoln Del restaurant/deli, a family favourite.
- ½ pound beef shank bones
- ½ pound beef bottom round steak (not cut up)
- vegetable oil
- 5 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut up
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon “sour salt” (also known as citric acid; it should be available with the canning ingredients at the supermarket)
- 2 pounds green cabbage, cut into bite-sized pieces
Brown the shank bones and round steak in oil in a 4-quart dutch oven or stockpot.
Carefully add the beef stock, tomatoes, ketchup, sugar, and sour salt to the meat in the pot; stir.
Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour.
Remove meat from mixture; let cool slightly.
Remove and discard the skin, bones, and any fat and gristle from the meat.
Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot.
Stir in the cabbage. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the cabbage is crisp-tender.