Quinoa and Black Beans 13-Oct-2019
This is a pretty simple way to make quinoa interesting.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (1/2 a 15-ounce can if you use that, drained)
- 2 x 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- cook and stir onion and garlic until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Mix quinoa into onion mixture and cover with vegetable broth, season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes
- Mix in the black beans until heated through.
- Add in the fresh cilantro (or omit as a garnish for those who don’t like it)