Watermelon Pickles 04-Sep-2012
Watermelon Rind Pickles (from Mrs. Reba Clark)
- 2 lbs of rind
- 1/2 cup salt to 1 qt water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp whole allspice
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- Cut the rind in to 2”x1”x1/2”. Peel the rind and remove all the pink.
- Soak overnight in the brine.
- Drain and wash in fresh water then drain again.
- Cook in fresh water until rind is tender.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, spices, and sliced lemon. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the rind a few pieces at a time and cook in the syrup until rind is translucent.
- Pack in jars, cover with syrup, and seal.