Tortellini Salad 30-Jul-2011
This is a recreation of a recipe I had made up in my old recipe book. This is basically what I remember, but it could probably use some tweaking.
- 2 pounds tortellini pasta, cooked al dente and cooled.
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup snow peas, cut into bite-sized pieces and blanched.
- 2-3 scallions or green onions, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- a few sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped (1/2 a bunch?)
Cook the pasta until it is al dente. Tortellini floats when it is done. Drain and cool in cold water.
Cut up the snow peas into bite-sized pieces and blanche in boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Drain and cool in cold water.
Whisk the oil, vinegar and mustard.
Combine the cooled tortellini, snow peas, chopped green onions and crumbled feta cheese, salt & pepper, chopped parsley, and toss with the dressing.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Today, 30 July 2011, I didn’t have all the above ingredients, yet I wanted to get the tortellini used before it went bad. I made the following substitutions:
- For feta, I used gorgonzolla, and added a bit of parmesan
- Instead of dry mustard, I used a bit of yellow mustard
- Instead of snow peas, I used regular frozen peas
- I added a dash of ground thyme and oregano
- I used about 2 tablespoons of dry parsley instead of fresh.
I whisked all the spices and herbs together with the oil, vinegar and mustard and let it sit for a bit while the pasta and peas were cooking.
It was a winner!