Outback Pecan And Blue Cheese Chopped Salad 25-Jun-2011
This is my (and most of my family’s) favourite salad at the Outback.
Candied cinnamon pecans
- 1/3 cup pecans sliced-lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 3 cups chopped butter or bibb lettuce
- 3 cups chopped red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1 green onion, chopped
Blue cheese vinaigrette dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (as i recall, Outback doesn’t put the blue cheese in the dressing, but assembles it with the salad ingredients separately)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice each pecan half into at least three lengthwise pieces.
- Combine the cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Toss the pecans with the melted butter, then with the cinnamon/sugar mixture, making sure to coat them all evenly.
- Put the nuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until sugar is caramelized.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and slide the pecans off of the parchment to cool.
- Chop all of the lettuce into small bite-sized pieces; and rinse them with cool water.
- Slice the green onion.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Place the chopped lettuce into a serving bowl large enough to allow you to toss the salad.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with the chopped onion.
- Break the cooled pecan slices apart and sprinkle them over the salad.