Easy 5 minute Fried Rice 08-May-2021
This recipe is derived from My Favorite Fried Rice by EmmyMade.com. Her recipe feeds 4 people or so, but I only have to feed one, so I’ve made adjustments.
Really do go read her recipe or watch the video, she is just an absolute joy to watch.
For one serving:
Ingredients (mise en place)
- 1 cup of leftover “rice”: RightRice, take-out rice, etc. Just make sure it’s a day old, and cold
- 4 ounces of some COOKED protein: stripy bacon, pork belly, spam, lunchmeat, chicken, shrimp, fish, etc. Not sure why, but beef doesn’t quite appeal in this.
- 1/4 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 green onion, finely chopped; separate the whites from the greens
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced ginger
- 1 large egg, beaten
- kosher/sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- chicken powder
- sesame oil
- oil for frying
- Get everything prepped because it goes fast.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat up the oil.
- Add the pre-cooked protein and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the white parts of the green onion, continue sautéing for a minute.
- Add the garlic and ginger, continue sautéing for a minute.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In same skillet, add a little more oil.
- When hot, add the beaten egg, and scramble by pulling the cooked bits into the center.
- Add the eggs to previous cooked ingredients, set aside.
- Add a little oil to the same skillet.
- When hot, add the “rice”, pressing into a cake that covers the bottom.
- Leave to cook undisturbed for at least 1 minute, then stir.
- Add salt, pepper, and chicken powder, stir well.
- Press down into a cake and cook undisturbed for an additional minute.
- Add the already cooked ingredients and the frozen peas and carrots, mixing well.
- Cook for an additional minute.
- Add the green onion tops and sesame oil, stir to combine.
- Serve hot.
Emmy says you can sub soy sauce for the chicken powder if you don’t have it or want it.