Mushroom Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust 27-Dec-2020
Sweet potatoes make the perfect gluten-free crust for this custardy quiche. Brown the mushrooms with garlic to deepen their meaty flavor. This can easily be turned dairy free using vegan milk and cheese.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 10-oz sweet potato, preparation notes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fresh wild mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 large onion, sliced, roughly chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (whole / almond / coconut) milk
- 2 oz (part-skim / vegan) mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup Swiss chard or Spinach, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp basil pesto, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray; line with sweet potato in overlapping circles. Bake at 400°F until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; press sweet potato into dish.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook until mushrooms are browned and tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, Swiss chard, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place mushrooms in an even layer in sweet potato crust.
- Pour egg mixture over mushrooms.
- Dollop with pesto; swirl into egg mixture with a knife.
- Bake at 375°F until set in center, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Cut into 8 slices.
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Serves 4 (serving size: 2 slices)
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10 g
- Sodium: 563 mg
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- Protein: 16 g