Lebanese Meat-Stuffed Pitas (Arayes) 28-May-2020
This is already dairy-free, it needs something besides a pita to make it gluten-free. too
- 1/2 large white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small tomato, diced finely
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 4 pieces pita (whole wheat or regular), cut into quarters
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine the onions, garlic, and parsley until finely minced.
- Remove to a large bowl and add in the beef, tomato, garam masala, pine nuts, and lemon juice.
- Season with salt.
- Mix with your hands until well combined.
- Arrange the pita quarters on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Fill each quarter with about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture, flattening it out so the filling is even.
- Brush each quarter on both sides with a little olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Pitas should be browned and crispy.