Charley's Slow Cooker Mexican Style Meat 14-Oct-2019
Not a whole lot different that the colorado red chili, but this is just focused on the meat part, not making a chili.
- 1 4 pound chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups diced green chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) bottle hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Trim the roast of any excess fat, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the beef in the hot skillet, and brown it quickly on all sides.
- Transfer the roast to a slow cooker and top it with the chopped onion. Season with chile peppers, chili powder, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, and garlic powder.
- Add enough water to cover 1/3 of the roast.
- Cover, and cook on High for 6 hours, checking to make sure there is always at least a small amount of liquid in the bottom of the cooker.
- Reduce heat to Low, and continue cooking for 2 to 4 hours, or until meat is totally tender and falls apart.
- Transfer the roast to a bowl and shred it using two forks (reserve 2 cups of cooking liquid, if desired).
This would be excellent in tacos, taco salad, burritos, mexican rice bowls, etc., go wild, be Chipotle.
Make sure to reserve the cooking juice; if you freeze this, add some juice to each freezer container of meat. Good in the freezer for 6 months.
This would be great for a pork roast as well.
The bottle of hot sauce seems like a gimme :)