Cherry Cake 06-Apr-2011
A recipe for a flourless cherry cake from Kalivha on #xkcd
For the batter:
- 140g (5/8 cup) sugar
- 150g (2/3 cup) softened butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 140g (3/4 cup) ground hazelnut
- 50g (1/4 cup) breadcrumbs (there must be some way to omit these in order to make this truly gluten-free.)
- 80g (1/3 cup) chocolate
- 4 egg whites
- a pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 500g (2.25 cup, a little over 1 pound) cherries
- 50g (2 ounces, 1/4 cup) apricot jam
- 30g (3/8 ounce) toasted flaked almonds
Put the butter (make sure it’s soft) and half of the sugar into a bowl. Scrape out the vanilla pod into that and knead it into a smooth mass. Add the egg yolks and whisk so it’s light and airy.
Remove the pits from the cherries or let the liquid drain if they’re tinned. Pre-heat the oven to 175°C/350°F;.
Grate the chocolate and mix it with the bread crumbs and hazelnuts.
Combine the egg whites, the rest of the sugar and the salt together and beat until stiff.
Pour the egg white mix over the egg yolk mix, sprinkle the hazelnut mix on top of that and mix thoroughly but carefully.
Put all that in a cake tin, cherries on top and lightly press the cherries into the dough (but don’t get them covered fully!). Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Heat the apricot jam with 2 Tbsp of water, but don’t boil it. When the cake is ready, spread the jam stuff on top of the cake while it’s still hot and then sprinkle the flaked almonds on top of it.