Spaghetti Squash Pie 14-Oct-2019
This sounds yummy, and bonus gluten-free and dairy-free.
Serves about 6.
- 1 large spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup coarsely chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet big enough to hold both halves of the squash with aluminum foil.
- Place spaghetti squash, cut-side down, on the baking sheet.
- Bake squash until cooked through, for about 25 minutes, and remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out the strands of squash with a spoon and place in an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium heat, add some oil when the pan is hot.
- Cook the onion and bell pepper until soft.
- Add the turkey sausage, busting it up and stirring it with the onion and pepper until it browns.
- Remove from heat and stir in the spaghetti sauce, chopped spinach, applesauce, basil, garlic powder, oregano, and black pepper into turkey mixture.
- Spread mixture over squash in baking dish.
- Pour eggs over turkey mixture and toss the egg, turkey mixture, and squash together until the egg is just combined.
- Bake for about an hour, until the mixture is bubbling and eggs are set.
- Remove from oven and let set before serving.
This would be great with mixed fruit and GF muffins for breakfast.