Butternut Squash Soup With Chicken Apple Sausage 08-Sep-2012
This soup is perfect for a fall day. From Food Network Magazine, October 2012, p 102.
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces cooked chicken apple sausage, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1 small to medium squash)
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup fresh sage or parsley leaves
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Add the squash, carrots, celery, onion, broth, 2½ cups water and ¾ teaspoon salt to the pot. Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, about 15 more minutes.
Puree the soup in a blender in batches, then return to the pot along with the sausage. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
Heat the remaining ½ cup olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil if very hot, add the sage leaves in batches and fry, turning, until dark green and crisp, about 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the fried sage.