Split Pea Soup With Ham 01-Mar-2012
This is a pretty standard recipe, nothing really special going on here, but split pea soup is one of those wonderful wintery soups. Thick, delicious, and heartwarming.
- 8 cups stock
- 1 small cooked ham, diced
- 32 ounce package dry split peas
- 3 to 4 large carrots, peeled, sliced
- 2 to 3 stalks celery, cleaned, diced
- 2 medium onions, peeled, diced
- salt and pepper to taste (ham may have some salt, so be careful not to over-salt)
Rinse and sort the split peas.
Combine all ingredients except ham in a large stock pot.
Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmmer for a good 2 hours.
Take soup off the stove and let cool a bit before the next step.
Have a large container handy.
A few cups at a time, blend the soup mixture until smooth, transferring blended soup to container.
After all soup is blended, return to stock pot.
Shred the ham and add to stock pot.
Reheat soup and serve with Garlic Cheese Biscuits.