Black Bean Turkey Chili 12-Jan-2012
I’m not sure where this recipe came from, but it’s a real winner using left over turkey (or even browned ground turkey). I do it without the jalapenos, because I don’t like their taste. Using a habanero would be awesome.
- 2 cups leftover turkey, chopped
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, if desired
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, if desired
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans of low sodium whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
in a large stock pot, combine turkey, onion, peppers, garlic and spices. Simmer for 3 minutes.
add tomatoes, tomato sauce; bring to a boil, reduce to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
add beans and cilantro, simmer 10 more minutes.
serve in bowls and top with cheese.