Spicy Galbijjim (Braised Beef Short Ribs) 28-May-2020
Succulent, spicy, and fork-tender Korean beef short ribs pressure cooked in the Instant Pot! Fast and delicious!
- 3.5 to 4 pounds English cut beef short ribs, galbi (갈비)
- 8 ounces Korean radish, mu (무) (cut into large chunks), fresh daikon (United Noodle grocery on 24th in Seward, Mpls, else xtra carrot or a parsnip)
- 1 medium carrot (cut into large chunks)
- 3 to 4 dried shiitake mushrooms (briefly soaked and quartered)
- 1 Korean/Asian pear, blenderize
- 1 onion, small, blenderize
- 8 plump garlic cloves, blenderize
- 1 inch ginger piece, blenderize
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, we used 1/4 cup + 1/4 c water
- 4 tablespoons rice wine (or mirin or dry white wine)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons gochugaru (고추가루), we used sriracha aaah!
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (고추장), chili paste sort of thing, to taste - 😳ie, none fer Mike!
- 3 tablespoons honey (or sugar), use local honey, yay!
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, at end, serving garnish
- 2 scallions (roughly chopped (and some finely sliced for optional garnish))
- sesame seeds, garnish - optional, meaning we used white AND black
- Trim off any thick layer of surface fat. Place the ribs in a large bowl with enough water to cover all the ribs. Add a couple of tablespoons of sugar and stir until dissolved. Let the ribs soak for about 30 minutes. Drain and rinse the ribs. Drain well while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a small blender, blend the pear, onion, garlic, and ginger well. You can separately grate them if you want. Transfer to a bowl. Mix it with the remaining braising liquid ingredients.
- Place the short ribs in the pot, and add the vegetables.
- Pour the braising liquid over. Toss everything well to coat the ribs evenly. Close the lid tightly. Press the “Meat” function, and using the “+” button, set the time to 35 minutes (or 40 minutes for fall off the bone tender meat). Make sure the pressure switch is turned to “sealing”. When finished, the Instant Pot will automatically turn to the “Keep Warm” mode. Leave the pressure cooker alone for 10 to 15 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure and opening the lid. You can leave it longer if you want.
- Stir in the scallion and the sesame oil. Remove the meat and vegetables from the pressure cooker. Spoon off the fat. Pour the sauce over the ribs to serve. You can also cool it in the fridge or freezer until the fat solidifies to spoon off, and then reheat the sauce. Garnish with the optional scallions and sesame seeds.
- Serves: 4