Pineapple Coconut Upside Down Cake 15-Jun-2013
The classic Betty Crocker cake, using a spring-form pan instead of the cast-iron skillet, because I have one and not the other.
- 1 cup softened butter, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 20-ounce can of pineapple slices, drained, with 1 cup of juice reserved
- ½ jar of marasshino cherries
- 1 18¼ ounce boxed yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shredded coconum
Heat oven to 350°F;.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Wrap a double layer of foil inside and over the lip of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Place ½ cup butter in pan and heat in the oven for 2 minutes; remove.
- Stir in sugar and ginger.
Arrange pineapple slices in the pan and place ½ a maraschino cherry in the center of each ring.
- Beat cake mix, ½ cup butter, eggs, and reserved pineapple juice on medium for 2 minutes.
- Stir in coconut.
- Spoon the batter into the springform pan.
Place the pan on the baking sheet, centering it.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Loosen the springform pan and invert the cake onto a serving platter.