Cranberry Pear Crisp 28-Oct-2011
The combination of the tart cranberries and sweet pears makes this a fabulous dessert
From “Come One, Come All: Easy Entertaining With Seasonal Menus” by Lee Svitak Dean (Minnesota Historical Society Press, $29.95). (via Minneapolist Star/Tribue Taste Section, 13 October 2011)
Serves 6 to 8.
- 8 ripe pears (or apples), peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 c. fresh cranberries
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 c. rolled oats
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- Whipped cream, for garnish
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, toss pear (or apple) slices in lemon juice. Add cranberries, granulated sugar and cinnamon and toss to combine. Spread fruit in an ungreased 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and butter with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle oat mixture over fruit.
Bake until fruit is tender and topping is lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm, at room temperature or chilled. Top with whipped cream.