Bacon, Egg, and Cheese "Everything" Eggrolls 26-Oct-2015
This sounds like it would make a rather awesome weekend finger-food breakfast for a group event of some sort.
Try to make it GF and DF.
- 4 slices bacon
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1/4 cup milk (sub almond- or coconut milk)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (maybe Daiya shreds)
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 6 egg roll wrappers (not usually GF, maybe rice papers?)
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried garlic flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Oil, for frying
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Crumble and set aside. Pour off all but about a teaspoon of the bacon grease.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together 4 of the eggs, the milk, and salt and pepper until frothy.
- In the same skillet that you cooked the bacon in, scramble the eggs over medium heat. Just before the eggs completely set up, mix in the crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and chives. Continue to cook until the cheese has melted and the eggs have set.
- Remove the eggs from heat and set aside. Take the remaining egg and separate, reserving the egg white. Mix the egg white with a tablespoon of water.
- Fill up each egg roll wrapper with about 2 tablespoons of filling for each roll. To do this, place the wrapper on the table so that it looks like a diamond. Place the filling down the center of the wrapper. Roll the left corner over the filling, and press to tuck underneath the filling slightly. Brush the top, bottom, and right corners with the egg white and water mixture. Fold the top and bottom corners in, and then continue to roll towards the right until the egg roll is sealed. Continue until all egg rolls have been filled.
- In a small bowl, combine the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, and kosher salt. Mix well.
- Brush the top of the egg rolls with the egg white and water mixture and sprinkle with the everything seasoning. Be liberal with it!
- Heat about 1” of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil reaches 350 degrees F, place in 3 of the egg rolls, seasoned side down. (You can tell the oil is ready when you stick the handle of a wooden spoon in the very center of the pan, and the oil begins to bubble around it.) Cook until golden and crisp, turning to brown evenly. Remove the egg rolls from the oil and let drain on a paper towel while you fry the next batch.
- Serve warm with condiment of your choice!